Home

GH fic | TWW fic
what are you doing new year's eve?
kel's fic - the witty and profound

God bless long plane rides...plenty of brainstorming time...

For my chat grrl's....love those little scenes

What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?
by Kel

"Only 10 minutes until the New Year...."

Dick Clark's ageless face is on the television counting in the New Year live from Times Square. Alexis takes a moment to study her would be 'date' for the evening. Whereas, she had envisioned a quiet evening at home, her companion had seen something else. She recalls their earlier conversation....

"Alexis, you cannot spend New Year's here alone."

"It's fine, Sonny. I'm just going to catch up on my reading and--"

"Reading? I thought we went over this 'cutting loose' thing in Puerto Rico."

"Our lesson was cut short." She surprises herself with that statement and he holds her gaze for an intense moment.

"Yes, it was. All the more reason to let go tonight."

"I don't want to go out. I don't want the noise or the crowds. Really, I'll be fine. I've got my book, my popcorn, my fuzzy socks..."

"Fuzzy socks?"

"Never mind. The point is, I'm having New Year's exactly how I want it."

"And what about how I want it?"

"I didn't realize I was supposed to factor you in."

"Let's go out," he practically ordered.

"And they say romance is dead, I'm staying in." She bites her lower lip with the realization of her admission.

"Romance, eh?" He flashes his dimples at her. "Ok, we'll stay in."

She sighs in frustration. Part actual, part sexual. "Fine. If your idea of an exciting New Year's Eve is watching me read, more power to you." She returns to the sofa and not so dicreetly sets up a barrier with the tin of popcorn. He chuckles softly to himself and joins her.

******

Two hours later the tin of popcorn is almost gone and Dick Clark was taking a moment to assure his audience that 2002 was going to be an amazing year...

"Who gave you this thing anyway?" he asks as his fingers scrap the metal on the bottom of the tin.

"Kristina. She knows me so well. Plus, I didn't have to cook for a week. I'm currently looking into stock in this company."

"Popcorn is not cooking."

"We've been over this...."

"And we'll keep going over it until...."

"Until when? Until I learn how to cook? I thought that's what I had you for." She smiles and winks at him.

"Maybe I could teach you to cook."

"You itching for a case of food poisoning?"

"I'm serious. I'll teach you how to cook."

"You have fire insurance, right?"

"Alexis...."

"Ok, ok, we'll make 2002 the 'amazing year' where I expand my cooking repetoire."

He releases that low chuckle again. The one that runs chills up her spine.

"Good."

"And you? What can I teach you?"

"Oh, I'm sure if we put our heads together we could come up with something."

A charged silence hangs between then broken only by the TV declaring the New Year only a minute away.

"So grab your friends and loved ones and get ready folks....", the celebration blares on...

Alexis feels a flush rise on her cheeks. With midnight comes tradition. A tradition that deep down she is anxious to share with this man, but is forever holding back.

"10-9-8-7..."

His words break her reverie.

"So...you wanna?"

"Do I wanna what?"

"It's tradition, Counselor."

Her eyes widen.

"Are you out of your mind?"

"6-5-4..." blares the TV

"Maybe."

"3-2-1 HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!"

"I don't thi--"

But her words are cut short as Sonny leans in to her. His eyes locking with hers. He places a delicate, gentle kiss on her lips, and her eyes slip shut. When he pulls away, her eyes are still closed.

"Alexis? You still with me?"

At his words, her eyes open, and she blushes again.

"That was...nice. That was nice"

"Nice? I must be losing my touch," he jokes.

"It was a friendly New Year's kiss."

He nods.

"Because you are, after all, my friend. And you were just doing the friendly thing, which is fine with me. I'm sure you'd do the same for..." Her chatter continues...

"Breathe."

"I am...breathing," she proclaims near breathless.

"I don't have many friends like you," he confides.

"Me either."

And there is the charged silence again.

"So...any resolutions?"

"I thought I was going to learn to cook," she teases.

"Besides that."

She thinks for a minute. "I'm going to...I'm going to follow a friend's advice and take more risks. Cut loose more often."

"I like that."

"I figured you would." The couple shares matching grins.

"And you?"

"I'm going to help you," he says huskily.

All breathing ceases at that statment.

"Because I like you when you cut loose," he continues. "I like you when you're buttoned up too. But I think that's a good resolution." He leans into her again, his voice lowering. "Sometimes you just gotta close your eyes, and jump."

"Yeah," she replies as her eyes drop to his mouth.

"Happy New Year," he whispers.

"Geronimo," she whispers back.

And this time, it is her mouth that captures his.

*FINIS*

Send Feedback

General Hospital and all associated trademarks are copywrite ABC blah blah.  No infringement intended.
 
Unless stated otherwise, all stories are written by Kel.  Please don't archive or distribute without permission.
Site maintained by Jadar Allyna.  Blame all lameness on her.